The 2016 EB-5 Advocacy Convention will be held in Washington, DC from April 20-22. The conference, hosted by IIUSA (Invest in the USA), is the 9th EB-5 Regional Economic Development Advocacy Conference. It is held each spring and attended by guests in the international investment and economic development fields from across the globe.
This year’s conference will be held at the Marriott Marquis, a development that was completed, thanks to EB-5 investments, in 2014. The Marquis is also the largest hotel in Washington, DC and a perfect setting for the event.
The event attracts industry leaders to attend and offers a wide range of guest speakers that most attendees will find informative. The 2016 panel of speakers include the following:
- Charles Oppenheim– Chief, Visa Controls Office, U.S. Department of State (DOS)
- Joseph Borg– Director, Alabama Securities Commission; Former President of North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA)
- Julia Harrison– Deputy Chief, USCIS Immigrant Investor Program Office (IPO)
- Kavita Jain– Director, Emerging Regulatory Issues; Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Ritta McLaughlin– Chief Education Officer Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board
- Stephanie Avakian– Deputy Director, Division of Enforcement, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
The first day of the event features a series of committee meetings that are by invitation only followed by an IIUSA membership meeting and the opening reception.
The second day begins with a congressional keynote address, policy review, and advocacy workshop, followed by a series of speakers on issues related to and concerning EB-5 advocacy including a session with guest of honor: Julia Harrison who is Deputy Chief, USCIS Immigrant Investor Program Office. There will be one more session before closing remarks followed by the evening reception.
The final day of the event features more discussions, including an interactive roundtable discussion before closing remarks. There will be a leadership luncheon, by invitation only, and a board of directors meeting after the main conference ends.
Individuals in the EB-5 industry are invited to attend. Individual tickets and sponsorships are currently available.
If you have need of an EB-5 attorney, be sure to contact David Hirson & Partners, LLP at for your Business and Investment immigration law concerns.