Serving Clients Across The U.S. And Around The World

Proving a bona fide marriage with the right documentation

On Behalf of | Oct 13, 2021 | Immigration

Did you know that a conditional resident and their spouse must prove, through evidence, that they have a real and bona fide marriage? This is in relation to Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

According to experts, it is critical that proof of a genuine marriage be a part of immigration documents. Fake marriages are sometimes an arrangement for receiving a green card; there are steep fines for this as well as possible jail time. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will carefully look at an application for permanent residency when there is a hint of fraud. Your application must be truthful, and your documents must show that you deserve a green card.

The warning signs that alert USCIS to possible marriage fraud

There might be a large difference in the age of the two people. The petitioner and beneficiary may speak different languages. There are great differences in the cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the two. A third party may have arranged the marriage, which friends and family do not know about. Another red flag might be that the partners are not living together, but this may have other reasons.

What documents prove a bona fide marriage?

Usually the couple live together, and there are a number of documents that may prove cohabitation. They include the following:

  • Mortgage or loan documents with both names
  • Bank statements showing the same address
  • Lease agreement with both names
  • Utility bills showing the same address
  • Affidavits from landlords, friends, family and others that show the persons live together
  • Health and life insurance with same address

Evidence of children together

  • Birth certificates with both parents’ names
  • Adoption records with both names

Photos that show a relationship with the children may qualify.

Evidence of intimacy

Photos of vacations, tickets to events and receipts for gifts to each other all are allowable, as are phone records that show you both communicate often.

Evidence that you have a bona fide marriage is not difficult to prove. You can have a successful I-751 petition with the proper documentation.