Serving Clients Across The U.S. And Around The World

USCIS Form I-130 verifies that a valid family relationship exists

On Behalf of | Feb 23, 2024 | Immigration

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-130 is completed by U.S. citizens or permanent residents who wish to obtain green cards for their family members. U.S. citizens can use the form to seek green cards for their spouses, parents, children and siblings. Permanent residents can apply for green cards for their unmarried children and spouses. The Form I-130 filing fee is currently $535, but that figure will rise to $675 in April 2024.

Form I-130 processing times

Processing an Form I-130 takes approximately 11 months, but waiting times are almost two years when the family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents are already living in the United States. Individuals who request green cards for family members can minimize Form I-130 waiting times by completing the form properly and submitting it along with all necessary supporting documents. They can also ask USCIS to expedite their applications.

A valid family relationship

USCIS uses Form I-130 to determine that a genuine family relationship exists between the U.S. citizen or permanent resident seeking a green card and the person who will receive one. Completing and submitting the form is the first step in the family-based permanent residency process. When the person who will receive a green card is the applicant’s spouse, the form is used to verify that the marriage is valid. U.S. citizens and permanent residents often apply for family visas for their relatives before completing and submitting a Form I-130.

Family-based immigration

U.S. citizens and permanent residents can submit petitions to the immigration authorities if they wish their relatives to join them in the United States. USCIS Form I-130 is used to verify that the applicant and green card recipient have a legitimate family relationship. Applicants may meet this requirement by submitting supporting documents, like birth or marriage certificates, along with the Form I-130.