Serving Clients Across The U.S. And Around The World

TN visas allow Mexican and Canadian citizens to work in the USA

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2024 | Immigration

When the United States entered into the North American Free Trade Agreement, special economic relationships were established with Canada and Mexico. To make it easier for Canadian and Mexican citizens to engage in professional business activities in the United States, a new kind of nonimmigrant visa was introduced. Occupations that could qualify for the new TN visas include teachers, scientists, attorneys, engineers, pharmacists and accountants.

TN visa requirements

Individuals who wish to work in the United States may qualify for TN visas if they are Mexican or Canadian citizens, have the credentials needed to work in a qualifying occupation and have a prearranged full or part-time job with an American employer that requires a NAFTA professional. Canadian citizens do not have to apply for TN visas in advance. Instead, they can show the necessary paperwork to U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a designated point of entry. They will be expected to provide proof of Canadian citizenship, their professional qualifications and a letter from their prospective employer. Mexican citizens who wish to obtain TN visas must apply for them before entering the United States.

Dependent family members

Individuals who obtain TN visas may remain in the United States for up to three years, and they can renew their general employment visas if they wish to stay longer. They can also apply for Trade Dependent nonimmigrant visas for their spouses and children under the age of 21. Dependent family members who receive TD visas are not permitted to work in the United States, but they can study.

Removing trade barriers

NAFTA removed trade the barriers that once made it difficult for American, Canadian and Mexican companies to do business with each other. Shortly after NAFTA was signed, a new visa was introduced for Canadian and Mexican citizens. Scientists, engineers, pharmacists, lawyers and other professionals who qualify for TN visas can work in the united States for up to three years, and they can bring their spouses and children with them.