Serving Clients Across The U.S. And Around The World

Visas For Extended Vacation And Pleasure Stay In The U.S.

Like the B-1 Business Visa, the B-2 Pleasure Visa actually allows for a number of activities that are not clearly delineated from its namesake. These short-term activities include but are not limited to:

  • Tourism
  • Vacation (Holiday)
  • Visit and stay with friends or family
  • Medical treatment (not long-term institutionalization)
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation or SAT boot camp)
  • Visiting universities and schools, interviewing, and applying for schools but not attending school
  • Caretaking for minor child in principal nonimmigrant status

It is important that an applicant for these plans have sufficient means to defray the costs of whatever the operation entails. The cost themselves will depend reasonably on the activity. For example, a four week tour of college campuses will likely cost much less than a six month gambling trip on the Las Vegas strip. Similarly, a one week stay in the United States for a cosmetic rhinoplasty may cost far more than several rounds of in-vitro fertilization.

Like the B-1 Business Visa, an alien visiting the United States on the B-2 Pleasure Visa can be granted a maximum stay of 180 days with the possibility of requesting an extension as long as the alien can demonstrate that she did not engage in unauthorized activities upon entry. She must not only continue to prove that she will engage in B-2 Pleasure Visa eligible activities, but has sufficient funds to pay for her activities such that she will not be forced to engage in unauthorized employment. Lastly, she must demonstrate that her stay is still limited in duration and is not for immigration. For example, a parent may use a B-2 Pleasure Visa to care for a nonimmigrant minor child who is a full-time student in the United States. However, because the nonimmigrant minor child will eventually complete her studies and depart the United States, the parent’s stay is also limited by its nature, even if the limitation is not for several years.

We Represent Clients Nationwide And Around The World

Contact Us To Learn More

Call David Hirson & Partners, LLP, in Costa Mesa, California at 949-441-4003 or our Seattle, Washington, office at 206-926-3973 or contact us by email to arrange a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys today.

Disclaimer: The use of the internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.